The Eisdendrath House, managed by the Tempe History Museum, is one of the best examples of Arizona's Pueblo Revival style of architecture.
The Eisdendrath House, managed by the Tempe History Museum, is one of the best examples of Arizona's Pueblo Revival style of architecture. It was built in 1930 by a wealthy Chicago widow, Rose Eisendrath. At the time, many affluent Northerners flocked to the Southwest to escape the ice and snow, and Mrs. Eisendrath was no exception. However, she was refused accommodations at a valley resort due to her Jewish heritage.
Undeterred, Rose Eisendrath purchased enough land to construct her own winter refuge. She acquired a 44-acre parcel in the hills above the Salt River on on April 23, 1930. The home was designed and built by architect Robert T. Evans, a family friend.
As materials were scarce - and costly - during the Great Depression, Evans relied on mud adobe blocks sourced from the nearby Salt River. The two-story structure is the largest and best-preserved example of Pueblo Revival architecture in Tempe.
After Mrs. Eisdendrath died in 1936, the home passed through several hands. It fell into disrepair before the City of Tempe acquired it in the early 2000s. The house has since been restored and renamed the Eisdendrath Center for Water Conservation. The property has become a focal point for water conservation efforts. An onsite Water Education Facility provides a free meeting space for water conservation classes.