Woman's Club of Mesa
Women played an active role in the cultural development of Arizona communities including Mesa. The General Federation of Woman’s Clubs of Arizona was established in 1901. On March 9, 1917, 53 women signed a charter to organize the Women’s Club of Mesa. A year later they joined the federation of Woman’s Clubs which had become a national movement.
The Woman’s Club of Mesa bought a lot on the corner of Macdonald and West Second street in 1921 and raised the funds needed to build the building. The Spanish Colonial Revival style building was designed by Henry C. Grote and built by Joseph Nesbit in 1931. For over 85 years the building has served as the clubhouse for the Woman’s Club of Mesa as well as hosting recitals and other social and cultural activities.
Over the years, the Woman’s Club has been dedicated to helping those in need in numerous ways. Some of these included donating to the Red Cross, earning money for hospitals, hungry children funds and city parks, and promoting education by giving scholarships to worthy young students.