Beth El Congregation is Phoenix' first successful and permanently established conservative synagogue.
Beth El Congregation was formed because members of Temple Beth Israel were having a disagreement. The members of the congregation could not decide on the hiring of a Shochet (Kosher butcher) and the hiring of a Reform or Conservative rabbi. The traditional Jewish members left to form Beth El Congregation, affiliated with Conservative Judaism, in 1930.
Beth El Congregation is Phoenix' first successful and permanently established conservative synagogue. It is also Phoenix' second successful and permanently established synagogue behind Congregation Beth Israel. The second established synagogue was at North Third Avenue and West McDowell Road. It remained there from 1951 to 1968 until the congregation increased in size to establish a third location.
After 1968, Beth El moved to Glendale Avenue, its current location. The congregation's goals seek to encourage and stimulate every member to achieve higher levels of Jewish learning.