Completed in 1892, The Niels Peterson House was designed by James Creighton. At the time of construction, the Tempe population was roughly under 1,000. After arriving from Denmark in 1871, Niels Peterson homesteaded 160 acres of the Salt River Valley. It is here he made the majority of his wealth in the ranching industry. Peterson’s new home was a reflection of his high status. Peterson was one of the largest producers of cattle, hay, and grain in the valley.
Peterson passed away in 1923. After his death, the house passed through two families before the Tempe Historical Museum acquired it in 1979. The Tempe Historical Museum now maintains the home as a museum.
The Tempe Historical Museum collaborated with the Danish Immigrant Museum in order to bring some of the Danish activities that the Peterson’s once enjoyed here in Tempe. The Petersen House Museum is open to the public on weekends throughout December for Danish Christmas tours.
The Peterson House Museum is located on the Northwest corner of Southern and Priest.