In the late 1880s, when horses pulled carts and delivered mail in Tempe, Mill Avenue was a nascent hub of commercial activity. What became known as the "Andre Block" was among the first buildings constructed along Mill Avenue. According to the nomination made to the National Register of Historic Places (in 1979), this block "displays the best integrity of territorial commercial architecture of any building continuously used for commercial purposes in the Salt River Valley and is one of the last remaining buildings with a cast-iron front."
Developed by R. G. Andre, a Phoenix entrepreneur and skilled saddle maker, the property was built in 1887 and rebuilt after a fire in 1888. Andre enlisted the help of famed territorial architect James M. Creighton. He ran a successful saddlery business until 1899 when the building caught fire and burned down. The following year, it was rebuilt. Andre later sold the building to Jones, whose descendants kept ownership of the building until 1977. Throughout the years, the building was used as a post office, dance hall, and armory.
In 1999, Tempe Historic Preservation acquired federal grant money to restore the building to its original historical integrity. However, in the middle of the restoration, a grease fire in the neighboring restaurant set the building ablaze. Fortunately, due to stricter safety codes enforced during restoration, the fire did less damage to the building than the previous fire 100 years earlier.