Postcard Showing Tovrea's Stockyards, ca. 1940s


This file appears in: Tovrea Stockyards
Postcard Showing Tovrea's Stockyards, ca. 1940s

The unmistakable physical and olfactory presence of the Tovrea sheep and cattle operation dominated its surroundings for several decades. Opened by Edward A. Tovrea in 1919, the enterprise was billed as the world's largest feedlot. Operating in a largely unpopulated area, the economically significant Tovrea yards were a point of pride for many Phoenicians. However, the post-World War II increase in air travel to Phoenix and the associated expansion of Sky Harbor placed the economic importance of the stockyards in direct competition with the post-war prosperity driven by tourism and population growth. Local boosters grew increasingly frustrated with the overbearing stench emanating from the facility located so near city's airport. Ultimately, the feedlot operation drew to a close in the late 1950s, leaving only the highly-regarded Stockyards Restaurant as a reminder of Tovrea's highly pungent cattle business.

Image courtesy of Stockyards Restaurant.


This file appears in: Tovrea Stockyards