With its Victorian-style architecture this building is extremely reminiscent of a two-story saloon or boarding house straight out of an Old West novel. In reality, the building housed a drug store owned by Dr. J. A. Dines and Hugh Laird. They acquired the building in 1901 and ran a prescription drug business for 63 years.
Over time, their property was commandeered by two famous Arizonans, Senator Carl Hayden and Governor Benjamin B. Moeur. Both politicians used it as headquarters for their respective campaigns. Not only did it function as a campaign HQ, but it also doubled as the city's first town hall and a post office. Dines and Laird both served as Tempe mayors.
The building remained relatively unchanged until 1929. Just like the Casa Loma Building, this site underwent a renovation that transformed the exterior to a Spanish Colonial Revival style. Both buildings represent an architectural revolution that swept downtown Tempe in the 1920s. As a result of efforts promoting tourism, most buildings were transformed into Spanish style in order to exude a typical “Southwestern” feel.
When Mill Avenue was designated as a state highway in 1959, a large mesh metal screen replaced one of the verandas. It was used to cover the second-story windows in order to protect the roadway from possible debris from the buildings. In the early 1990s, Mill Ave was redesignated as a regular street and rehabilitation of the Laird and Dines building began. This project reversed the renovations done in 1929 and restored the building to its original Victorian style. The building now houses two restaurants and bars.
"The building once housed an established drug store that served Tempe citizens for 63 years. It also served as the community's unofficial town hall, political campaign headquarters, and boardroom. The building owners, Laird and Dines, also served terms as Tempe mayor and on the Town Council." (Tempe Preservation, Mill Ave Tour)